When it comes to Business Networking, there are many, many rules on how to make the best of it. Some of these common rules are:
- Respect someone’s name. Pay attention to proper pronunciation.
- Always listen more, talk less.
- Conclude by exchanging/reiterating channels or points of contact to express your accessibility.
- Always follow up.
In addition to that, one of the best advises given about business networking comes from Harvey Mackay (Founder, MackayMitchell Envelope Co.)
One of the most important aspects of Business Networking, which a lot of experts around the world agree, is the importance of Linguistics i.e. knowing and understanding how language plays an important role in Business Networking.
First, why invest in understanding and learning a new language? Or at least, knowing the impact language can have on your business networking?
To begin with, as a business, networking is your first maneuver towards the growth of your business as well to bring in new talent. But the major bottleneck in a global criterion is always the linguistic gap.
Languages are tricky. You can learn the vocabulary. You can learn the grammar. But you often miss out on the nuances and contexts that permeate every language. These variables depend on many social, cultural and other factors.
Here are a few points that will help you grasp why language plays a key role in business networking:
- Establish Comfort: There is nothing better than coming across someone who you need information or advice from and see their delight when you speak their language. The knowledge of foreign language and an understanding of the linguistics can help you establish camaraderie with the person on the other side of the conversation instantly. Language gap can irritate the other person and frustrate you enough to bang your heads on the wall.
- Enable Reciprocity: Business Networking is all about preparation and initiation of the conversation, with a spirit of reciprocity. Speaking the same language shows the person who you are talking to, that you pay attention to their comfort as well as you come prepared to discuss the information keeping in mind your requirement as well as theirs.
- Be part of their community: When you show someone that you speak their language, you become one of them; a part of the people they are familiar with. A speaker of same language, you will always be welcome in their conversations. Simply because it is easier and clearer to communicate with a fellow language speaker.
Forbes Contribution and Snapp Conner PR Founder Cheryl Connor has always emphasized on the pragmatism of learning English to a professionally fluent level of articulation. But she has also given a very well articulated perspective on how learning a foreign language, any foreign language that will have utility for your business can help your business and yourself grow.
Be it to present yourself as a well articulated professional or to flaunt and impress with your broad understanding the world, Linguistics are an important part of business networking. Regardless of your business networking requirements, you can and should strive to learn a new language that will help you grow yourself as well as your business.
But if you need, there is another solution. Business Networking experts are always capable of facilitating the solution for this bottleneck. Should you need it, you can look towards a capable business networking solutions provider to equip your business with a linguistic professional who is expert at the languages that you need to utilize for your business networking needs.
iSBS is a business networking and business solutions providing startup. We operate with clients across the world and regularly solve some of the most important problems of businesses. Check out our services. We’re sure we can help you grow.
Want to know how we can help you in Networking & Engagements? Let our work speak!